.

.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Army Sisters

One of the most difficult parts of Army life is finding kindred spirits. With moving every few years you make friends and then move away and start over. Since everyone is on a different schedule, you may meet a friend where everything just clicks... But she's moving in a few months. With facebook and text messaging, you can easily keep connected to these friends, but you still need a physical support system. 

I have had to majorly go out of my comfort zone to meet and make friends since entering the military. But I am so so thankful that I have! I am a more reserved person naturally and making friends wasn't always easy for me. I used to have to give myself pep talks just to leave my dorm room and meet my hall mates in college. After graduation I tentatively branched out to meet coworkers but rarely extended those relationships outside of work. 

Matt was accepted into the Army and I was so nervous! I was leaving my wonderful group of friends and going into the unknown. What were the chances that I would end up at a post where my few friends in the Army were stationed? I thought back over my college and post college life. The friends I had from those years are some of the best I have. It took some time to find them and truly connect with them, but it was so worth it once I did. I needed to take this mindset into our Army life. 

At Fort Sill, Matt was in class so I met weekly with the other wives from the class. Easy peasy friends! All our husbands were stressed and had late nights with their assignments, so we could all relate on the random hours and missed dinners. Our time there was short, less than a year, but these friendships will always have a special place in my heart because they were my first connections in the Army. 

Here at Fort Campbell I met a few friends fairly quickly. We had play dates as our kids were around the same age and we got along just fine. But after living here for a year I finally met a group of friends who had similar values, beliefs, and lifestyles as myself. I could relate to these women so much easier and the relationships just flowed from the very first conversation. Thankfully, a couple of them moved here recently so we all should stick around another couple years together. These friends have already made such a difference in my Fort Campbell experience. It is the difference between having interaction with others and having true friendships. It makes me enjoy life here at Campbell instead of just wishing away the years until we get our next assignment. Now I dread Matt or my friends' husbands getting orders calling us across the country. 

A solid support system is so very necessary to Army wife life. Friends help to fill our days and listen to our woes. Friends help us think through the Army what ifs and whys and excitedly count down the days until we see our soldiers again. Friends bring good conversation, laughter, and fellowship. Put yourself out there. Make connections. Not all of them will stick and not everyone you meet will end up being a kindred spirit. But once you find those like-minded individuals, your life will feel so much fuller and sweeter. Life will seem more bearable and brighter. 

This is just as true in life and it is in Army life. We all need people. Community is how we grow and learn and thrive. It doesn't have to be a large community, but it is necessary. It may take stretching of yourself. It may take many failed relationships. It may take a week, or month, or year to find those true friendships where you are, but when it happens your life will be fuller and much more fulfilling. Life is too short to live it in seclusion. 

I am so very thankful for my Army sisters. It gives me hope for our future assignments. I can and will find friends, I just have to be open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment