.

.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Postpartum: Road to Recovery

Daniel is now six weeks old. Where in the world has the time gone? Six weeks is the normal postpartum recovery timeframe. I had my Dr. appointment on Thursday and everything looked good. I am physically, emotionally, and mentally well. I only have 11 lbs left to lose to get to my pre-Preggo weight. Now that I am cleared to exercise that should drop off fairly quickly. We are going to Michigan for two weeks, but we plan to get a family membership to the YMCA when we return. 

So to finish off my pregnancy posting, here is the timeline/ info for my recovery period:
*The Dr. gave me an episiotomy. Since the delivery was so quick we didn't have any time to discuss this, but it turned out ok. It healed very quickly. I didn't have any issues going to the bathroom, which is always a mommy's fear right after delivery. At the hospital I only took Motrin and no stronger pain meds. When I got home I didn't fill the Rx for Vicodin or the strong Motrin, but just used regular Motrin. 
*Used Depends with the large pads from the hospital inside for the first week. I used an entire package of Depends and was then able to switch to Always pads. Bleeding lightened fairly quickly and after the first week just occurred after nursing or physical exertion, like yard work. 
*My milk came in at the hospital. I had an over production. It was painful for me between feedings and Daniel wasn't able to drain me during a feeding. I began pumping in addition to feeding on Tuesday to give myself some relief. I pumped over 80 extra oz. the first week and donated it to a mother with production issues. I am part of a local Facebook group that is run by a Lactation Consultant and I posted that I had milk to donate. After that initial donation my supply regulated to Daniel's needs, thankfully.
*Every day I noticed my belly diminishing. I was able I wear non maternity jeans one week post partum, with a small hair tie to close them. 
*No phantom baby kicks like I had with Jackson. Maybe because I'm not interested in being pregnant again? For months after having Jackson I thought baby was kicking and then I realized that couldn't be and I missed being pregnant. I definitely do not miss being pregnant this time!
*5/3 At 3 weeks postpartum I was able to fit into skinny jeans with hair tie. I still had a muffin top but was glad to wear my favorite pair of jeans again.
*During weeks 5-6 I felt overwelmed/overly emotional. I had less patience with boys and would raise my voice more often in response to Jackson. I felt stretched between the boys, like I wasn't enough for either of them. I felt like crying over little things. I don't feel depressed, just drained. Probably also adjusting to the new sleep schedule. I am very thankful that the boys are young enough to be very forgiving when I am not 100%. 
*5/20 I fit into shorts with no hair tie to close! Still have a little muffin top, but it is nice to have warm weather options now. If was getting entirely too hot to wear jeans! 
*5/24 My official postpartum recovery is now over. I tried on a bunch of skirts tonight that do not fit yet. I have to start working to widdle my middle. 

Overall, this recovery has been very easy and pleasant. I have been very blessed with good genes to help speed up the recovery process. To me, feeling like myself is being able to wear anything in my closet. That day has not come yet, but I know it will. I am so thankful that 2/3 of my pregnancy weight was lost just by nursing and living. I plan to start exercising now and getting more fit. I need the extra energy to keep up with my two boys! 

These six weeks have been tiring and wonderful. I am so thankful for my two boys and the days we get to spend together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment