.

.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Book Challenge

I've been seeing friends post a book challenge as their Facebook status. Ten books that have influenced your life. I have given it some thought but these books just stand out. It's interesting because my two favorite books, The Count of Monte Cristo and Emma, are not on this list. Those two are my favorites and I have read them several times because I enjoy them. But they do not (I can't believe I'm about to say this) "give me the feels". So, besides the Bible, these are ten books that have altered my life after reading (not necessarily in any particular order):

1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
*This is one of Matt's favorite books and he recommended it to me in high school. It took me a few years to read it and then I quickly devoured the entire series, as well as the Shadow (Bean) series. Not only has this been a bonding point between my husband and I, but also it has given me a drive to do what I can to change the world. No, I am not  child genius or a military mastermind. But I can do everything in my power to change my little world and those in it. I can make the most of my opportunities (like Peter), I can be constant (like Valentine), I can be resilient (like Bean), and I can do the right thing (like Ender). 

2. The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling 
*I am part of the Harry Potter generation. This is the one thing I truly geek over. I got the first book the week it came out and thought it looked stupid (my mom got it for me after hearing it was the best children's book). I devoured it and impatiently waited for each new book (and movie) to come be released. I was with Harry until the very end and will always love the story, the characters, and the incredibly, thoroughly thought out world. I grew up with this series and feel like if is a close friend. 

3. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe 
*I cannot possibly understand how it feels to be a slave. This book is a little window into that world and it is absolutely heartbreaking. As I read I kept hoping the end of my book wouldn't be the same as all the other copies. Tom would live happily ever after, reunited with his family, and be a free man. It is beautifully horrible and I am a more empathetic person because of it. 

4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 
*This is the only book I have ever read where I hated all the characters but still loved the book. I didn't even know that was possible. I was not drawn to any of the characters as individuals and did not particularly care how their story ended. That is why it worked. That is why I enjoyed it. She wrote a very real story that wasn't all daisies and sunshine and sometimes that is so very needed. Just real life. 

5. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
*If I could visit any fictional world it would be Narnia. Before it was on Pinterest (back in high school), I had the idea to someday buy a huge wardrobe and place it in front of the door to my children's play room so they could enter into Narnia. Also a well thought out world, interesting and different characters, and always Aslan. Aslan is such a great image of God for children. He is just, he is good, he is our friend, but he is the ruler of the land. He is not a tame lion. 

6. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein 
*Simple and sweet and makes me cry every time. Sometimes just being is all that is needed.

7. Peter Pan by JM Barrie
*A magical world, but I see this story as a tragedy. If you have not read the book, do not be fooled by the Disney version of the story. Peter Pan is truly the boy who never wanted to grow up. He did not want responsibilities, so he ran away from them. He was incredibly selfish, not remembering Wendy or Tinkerbell (who dies). He has no loyalty except to himself. Jam Barrie has created a self portrait and that is why it is incredibly sad. A child cannot help but to only think of themselves and that is why to grow up is not such a bad thing after all. 

8. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck 
*Good friendship. Strong bonds. Tragic accidents. Misunderstandings. Another one that never ceases to make me cry. Good literature tells the story of every man. That is the very essence of Steinbeck. 

9. Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
*I received this as a wedding present. It is a great reminder of the intricacies of marriage. I have read it several times in the six years we've been married. It is always a great reminder of our strengths and areas that need improvement (usually not the same with every read through). 

10. Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs 
*Men and women are different. We have different needs. We see the world differently. We interact differently. This book showed me how to communicate successfully to Matt and how to share with him my needs from our relationship. This also shows how a biblical marriage should look and why submission to one's husband is not a punishment, but a blessing. 


I can think of a few more books that have been very influential in my life. I can think of quite a few more that are in my top ten favorite books that have not made this list. Books give us entrance into new worlds. Books impart knowledge. Books can be the best of friends. I am thankful for these ten books and how they have influenced my life. 

Side note: there is one book I almost added to this list because I disliked it so much. That led me I think of two other books in the same category. They also influenced me but not in a positive way. I was disappointed and learned not to read books just because they were popular or had won awards. But these books were more influential and maybe you like the three books I disliked. So, I'll spare you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment