.

.

Sunday, October 9, 2016

To Be a Writer

Growing up I always wanted to be a writer. I kept various journals- some fiction, some nonfiction. I loved to write short stories for class. I loved to read. When I was older I stil held a passion for writing and planned to go into journalism. Society and education ruined the concept for me so my major changed, my dreams changed, and the whole outlook of my future changed. But I still love to write. 

I don't do much of it now. Even this blog has become sparse with updates on the boys so I can pull info for their photo albums and random thoughts every few months at best. I have so many drafts that will probably never be published and even more thoughts on life and ideas for stories. I keep thinking that maybe someday I will get back into writing. Maybe someday I will sit long enough to formulate a plan for the stories compiled in my head. Maybe someday I will learn to be my own writer and realize that I don't have to be the next Tolkien, Lewis, or Rowling to be successful. 

My husband is a gem. We get each other in a way that I doubt even other happily married couples do. He knows me. Because of this, he has been encouraging me to get back into writing. Something only for me, but maybe someday something for others. Maybe not. Maybe I'll never get published. Maybe I'll never want to be. But just write. Just do it.

So I think I will. I think I should. I think I must.

I want to teach my boys to read something and write something every day. It doesn't have to be a whole chapter in a book. It doesn't have to be a whole page in a journal. Just read something every day. Just write something every day. 

I have many half filled journals. Some personal, some with plans for the future, some for specific periods in my life like pregnancy. It's about time I filled the pages. It is therapeutic. It helps me regain part of myself that has been lost in motherhood. It helps me hold onto my intellect that isn't used as much outside of school. It clears my head and chronicles memories. It is time.

Know what you like. Know your passions. And live them!

No comments:

Post a Comment